Most of us are on our computer more since COVID and depend on modern technology to simplify our lives and connect with others. Think of electronic key fobs that unlock our car doors and Wi-Fi-enabled security cameras that keep us feeling safe. Although convenient, our dependence on these devices comes with a price. And unfortunately, it’s a high price entirely invisible to the naked eye.
EMFs or electromagnetic frequencies are small but powerful waves that have invaded our lives. They are literally everywhere. And we were not designed to handle these silent but deadly waves of energy bombarding our brains and our bodies 24-hours a day, nor were our pets.
Some EMFs are audible – like the buzzing sound that comes from the back of your computer. Or the eerie humming sound from telephone lines high in the air. Or the weird sensation you notice when walking near an electrical box. This audible sound lets you know there is a strong electrical current running through that device and into the surrounding environment, which is your cue to move far, far away.
Specific medical procedures, internet hot spots, and cell phone towers can emit significant amounts of unseen electrical currents that are silently damaging our DNA and placing us at high risk for adverse health effects. But the one device that seems to be leading the pack when it comes to our own EMF exposure is the beloved cell phone.
Since their introduction to the public in the 1980s, the use of and dependence upon cellphones has dramatically increased. Research supports the adverse health effects that come from frequent and reckless use.
A review of more than two dozen studies on low-frequency EMFs suggests that these energy fields can cause various neurological and psychiatric problems in humans. However, political agendas and promised financial gains have largely silenced this information. Yet in 2012, with our EMF signal being merely 3G (seems like such a long time ago), the user manual insert for an iPhone stated the following:
“Warning: iPhone’s SAR [Specific Absorption Rate] measurement may exceed the FCC exposure guidelines for body-worn operation if positioned less than 15 mm (5/8 inch) from the body (e.g., when carrying iPhone in your pocket).”
Said in another way, all cell phone conversations should occur while holding the phone at least 5/8 inch or further away from the body, including the head. And that was in 2012!
Here is an excerpt from the Apple iPhone manual as of March 2020:
“To reduce exposure to RF (radio frequency) energy, use a hands-free option, such as the built-in speakerphone, the supplied headphones, or other similar accessories. Carry iPhone at least 10 mm away from your body to ensure exposure levels remain at or below the as-tested levels. [emphasis mine] Cases with metal parts may change the RF performance of the device, including its compliance with RF exposure guidelines, in a manner that has not been tested…”
In essence, the new recommendation 8 years later indicates that cell phones must be kept at least 1.25 inches away from the body to be at or below the as-tested levels. And who walks around carrying their phone away from their head like that? It would be difficult, if not impossible, to hear the conversation!
Recent researchers have found that adults exposed to high levels of EMFs for years at a time showed an increased risk of a specific type of leukemia. Other studies have found a correlation between EMF exposure and negative changes in nerve function throughout the body, affecting things like sleep and mood. Not to the long list of other health conditions associated with EMF exposure.
It is absolutely safe to say that EMF exposures come from everywhere, not just our cell phones. However, given the amount that we use phones and carry them with us wherever we go, it is relatively safe to say that these small but powerful devices are highly likely to pose a significant health risk.
So how can you minimize the effect of unseen EMFs in your home? Here are 15 strategies you can implement right away to reduce your exposure.
- Use a specific type of EMF protection case on your cell phone. We recommend Safe Sleeve.
- Keep your phone as far away from your body as possible, pointing the top of the phone away from you.
- Instead of holding the phone up to your head, use the speaker function or a wired set of earbuds that plug directly into your phone.
- Carry phones away from the body and not in a pocket or bra. Do not keep a phone turned on next to your body all day.
- If you use a laptop, never place it directly on your legs. Use a Safe Sleeve laptop protector to prevent EMF radiation from penetrating your legs.
- Whenever possible, only use your phone when the signal quality is high. The weaker the signal, the harder your phone must work to try and connect with the radio frequency.
- Opt for written texting or voice texting whenever possible. When doing so, hold the phone away from your body or use wired headphones. Cell phones typically use less radiation to send a text than to speak, and texting keeps the EMFs away from your head.
- Keep all EMF devices away from children, especially their heads. Skull thickness has not reached its peak, making them even more vulnerable to the harmful effects of radiation.
- Never sleep with your cell phone under your pillow or next to the bed during the night. Better to turn it on airplane mode until morning. The alarm will still work in this setting.
- Pregnant women should keep their cell phones away from their abdomen. All medical professionals recognize this as being essential to avoid damage to the growing fetus.
- For men, avoid storing cell phones in pockets. EMF exposure can decrease fertility by reducing sperm count, motility, and morphology.
- Avoid using a cell phone while in the car. Even better, turn it completely off or in airplane mode while driving. The metal surrounding the vehicle contains and enhances the radiation signal, in essence, ‘trapping’ it inside.
- Wherever possible, choose wired internet connections (ethernet) at home rather than a wireless router. This will reduce the amount of radiation within the home.
- Avoid sleeping next to electrical boxes or panels. These are often located outside the home; however, the EMF signal can penetrate through the walls. At the very least, move the bed as far away from the electrical box as possible.
- Check for EMF hot spots in your home with a Gauss meter, which can be purchased online. Avoid any known hot spots and rearrange furniture as appropriate.
In the modern world we live in, it is nearly impossible to remove all radiation surrounding us. However, being aware of these small changes can minimize our risk while still using the tools we have come to depend on.
Resources and recommended reading:
Disconnect: The Truth About Cell Phone Radiation, What the Industry Is Doing to Hide It, and How to Protect Your Family by Devra Davis, 2010
Source 2 – Risks of Cell Phone Usage
Source 3 – SAR Rating for Cell Phones
Source 4 – Interview with Dr. Devra Davis
Source 5 – Consumers for Safe Phones website
Source 6 – Shield Your Body website
Source 7 – Male Fertility
Source 8 – EMFs and Sleep
Source 9 – Safe Sleeve